Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Halloween Half Marathon

A really late posting but Jeff and I with my much needed running decided to run the Halloween Half Marathon. But what were we going to run in? We had to dress up with it being Halloween. That's a must. So we scoured the Halloween stores. Not wanting to spend too much money we settled on being clowns. Not something I would have normally chose but it would be easy to run in at least. Although I must say that I fell in love with our costumes in the end. I had to find a shirt to run in underneath because the weather was going to be 30 degrees up in the canyon when we started. Yikes!Having run a previous 6 marathons this was my first race only having run a half. I did okay. I really feel that I could have done better and it was so wonderful having Jeff by my side. He would have done much better without me but I love him for sticking by my side and pushing me all the way. Its been over a year since I had run in a race and I was so excited to be running in a race again! We finished in 2 hours 26 minutes. I'm okay with that. I really wanted 2 hours 15 minutes which is what my friend Mary finished in. Dang bathroom break!

It was so much fun to do this with my husband and to bring him apart of something that I love to do. We trained this in only a few short 4 weeks which isn't long at all to train when you are starting from scratch. We had a few "fun" runs during our training. When we went to run our first 5 miles it was literally freezing outside with frost on the ground. Within the first 1/2 mile a deer ran up out of the trees and crossed our path about 20 feet in front of us. Very strange for it to be down so far from the mountains.

The marathon run was alright. The first 5 miles were downhill but talk about steep. At some points I thought I was going to fall because it was so steep that my legs couldn't keep up with the gravity pull. However I had a few injuries along the way. My knee began to feel as thought it was going to give out from under me. Jeff of course ran ahead to jump and play on a playground along the way while I tried to run through my knee pain! Isn't he great! That's the marine kid in him! Love it!

0 comments: