Saturday, October 31, 2009

So last Sunday, Jeff and I were training for our Halloween half marathon in Provo and it was time to run our last long run of 11 miles. So as we parked at the Jordan River Trail near Gardener Village, we hopped out of the car in the freezing cold with frost on the ground to this little tiny kitten that came running out of the bushes from the river. It jumped right up into our arms. It must have only been about 3-4 weeks old and looked malnourished.

So we picked it up and pet if for a bit and then put it back down not knowing what to do. There weren't really any homes nearby but we certainly couldn't keep a cat with already having 2 dogs. So we began running and this little tiger ran after us. Finally I looked behind and it had started to slow down and began meowing like crazy. My heart instantly melted and I couldn't leave it be. It was like it was screaming out for help.

We ran half a mile back to the car and placed it in the trunk (Jeff didn't want it to pee or tear up the car) and we knew it would be warmer in there. So we then took off to finish another 10 miles. It of course gave us incentive to hurry back so we could get back to this cat.

We then took it home and it just gulped up everything we gave it. All the dog food. We could instantly feel its belly expand. It was starving clearly so I am glad we saved it.

We brought it home for two hours until the Utah Humane Society would open at noon and called to see if they would accept this little guy. Of course they would because they are awesome... BUT not before we bonded with the little tike. And boy did we... My dad certainly did and I did as well. To be honest I think it bonded more with us. I am sure glad we decided to run when we did! I have such a big heart for animals and can't stand them not finding good homes.


Now if I could only save the dog that lives behind us. It whines all the time and I am certain its because it is cold outside and wants to come in... but apparently the neighbors only believe in outdoor dogs. I will tell you right now I DO NOT BELIEVE IN OUTDOOR ANIMALS!!!! Maybe both indoor and outdoor but not just outdoors.. ITS TOO COLD!!!!
SAVE ANIMALS!!! NO MORE HOMELESS PETS!!!


1 comments:

Mary said...

Poor kitty...I'm glad you guys helped it out. So sad :(